Diabetic Friendly Mexican Quinoa Skillet

For those of us who have Type II diabetes, you KNOW how hard it is to find something quick, easy and tasty that won't send your glucose meter into a spin. Well, here is a recipe that is very diabetes friendly and it SCREAMS comfort food for me.

This recipe is super quick and easy to make!! It is definitely going directly into my 5 star recipe box and I will be freezing single portions of it for my busy day quick hot lunch!!


This is delicious at room
temperature too !!

QUINOA LUNCH

  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1 seeded and de-veined jalapeno pepper chopped (optional)
  • 1 cup quinoa (rinsed well and drained)
  • 15 ounce can low salt kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 diced red bell pepper
  • 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (NOT-drained)
  • 1 14.5 ounce can of water
  • 1 cup corn (I used frozen)
  • 3 teaspoons chili powder (see note about using jalapeno)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin (don't leave out)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 ounce can diced mild green chiles (un-drained)
  • Make sure you rinse the dry quinoa grain under cold running water before cooking it. Quinoa has a natural coating (almost like a dust?) that can taste bitter if not rinsed off. Some brands of quinoa say "pre-rinsed" but I rinse that one too.......just to be safe (it just takes a second to do).

  • Saute the chopped onion in a tablespoon of vegetable oil until the onions are soft and start smelling sweet. Add the garlic and saute for another 30 to 60 seconds (but watch so it doesn't burn).

  • Add everything else, stir well, and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a gentle simmer and put the lid on to cook for 15-20 minutes (depending on how hot your pan is). After 20 minutes, turn heat OFF but leave lid on and let it sit for about 10 minutes.

  • If you are new to cooking quinoa, you will know it is done when you see a TINY white sprout curl inside each grain of quinoa.

NOTE: I don't care for tons of spice, so I often leave out the chopped jalapeno and instead, use 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne.

NOTE: I freeze this in one cup containers for a quick lunch. The next day, I pop one of these containers into the microwave (still frozen) and heat on high for 2 1/2 minutes (about half that time if it isn't frozen). It makes a wonderful lunch !!

NOTE: My all time favorite way to eat this (and maybe it is just me), but I love it steaming hot, topped with a scoop of ice cold fat free cottage cheese. Yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment