Easy Crockpot Picnic Beans

I've been making these beans for my family for 30+ years and they are always a hit. Now that we are empty nesters, I make a big pot of these and then freeze them in 2 cup containers for a quick and yummy addition to any meal. 
 
 
I put the following ingredients (which are always in my pantry) into the crockpot before I go to bed and let them cook on LOW all night.

Other Recipes : Easy Chocolate Wafer Cookies

Ingredient Easy Crockpot Picnic Beans

  • 2 cups DRY navy beans (do not soak)
  • 6 cups water
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (light brown sugar works well too)
  • 3 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
  • 3/4 cup sweet onion chopped small *see note below
  • (1) 8 ounce can tomato sauce
  • 6 slices crisp cooked bacon

 How To Make Easy Crockpot Picnic Beans

  • Now, a word about the beans: Over the years, I've tried every kind of DRY bean there is and they ALL work, however, the tiny little "navy beans" work the best and tolerate re-heating without going mushy. I highly recommend that you use navy beans. Make sure you do NOT pre-soak the beans for this recipe.
  • Saute onions and fry bacon until almost crisp then drain well. Put everything into a large crockpot and cover with 6 cups of water. Stir well and set on low for 12 hours. The last 3-4 hours, prop the lid of the slow cooker open with a spoon, to thicken the juices.
  • Note about onions: When I decide to make these beans and I'm out of fresh onions, I use a scant tablespoon of dehydrated onion flakes, they work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment